Finishing the X11R7.5 katamari

Sat Oct 3 01:42:15 PDT 2009

Didier Spaier wrote:
>>> xinit seems to be omitted... and it could use a bump too.
>> xinit was not on the X11R7.4 katamari modules list, but is on my list of
>> modules needing a release made.   I'm not sure why it was removed - perhaps
>> because the expectation is most users get X11 started via a display manager
>> like gdm/kdm now?   Though that wouldn't apply to Cygwin & MacOS X users,
>> so xinit would seem to be a core part of their window system.
>
> As a Linux user, I prefer not to use gdm/kdm -- and BTW I don't use HAL
> either, so I'd like to remain able to use X without one of these.

No is proposing killing xinit - if it's not in the katamari, then you
just have to download it from the "individual" releases directory when
you want source, instead of finding it bundled with the other modules
in the "X11R7.5" directory on the ftp site.   If you use distro packages,
you may not even notice a difference - it's up to your distro which modules
to include in packages, whether they're in or out of the katamari.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com