Sporadically erroneous keystroke repetitions

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Nov 15 03:25:25 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Tomasz Torcz at 15/11/09 00:11 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 05:42:47PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Saturday 14 November 2009, Nix wrote:
>>> On 11 Nov 2009, Oliver Block spake thusly:

>>> Are you using kernels 2.6.31--2.6.31.4 on an SMP system or with PREEMPT
>>> enabled? If so, this is a Linux kernel bug, fixed in 2.6.31.5.
>> I wouldn't go so far as to say that its fixed, I've not noticed it
>> ssssssssstooooping doing that yet, currently at 2.6.32-rc7.
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^example, I fixed the rest of them, but its been a PIMA for 2 years
>> now, over 2 motherboards and 5 or 6 keyboards, its never really stopped.
>
>   I can concur, this is very annoying. It is happening for few years now,
> on different kernels and architectures. But always on Linux.

A consistent problem I've seen with key repeats for a while now (years)
is that of when I try to type something immediately after resuming from
suspend. Some time ago the resume cycle took a while for the display to
come back so usually I didn't type anything for a while after resuming.
But now with KMS, my display comes on immediately (yay!) which tempts me
to type in my password pretty quickly. If I do, the key repeats start
and quite literally don't stop! I can't switch VTs or find any way to
recover this. Usually I just power cycle.

Is there anything I can do to debug (e.g. via SSH) when this situation
arises? I'm on 2.6.31.5, still on xserver 1.6.x but will be upgrading to
the latest packages all round today!

Col

--

Colin Guthrie