Sporadically erroneous keystroke repetitions

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Sat Nov 14 16:11:38 PST 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 05:42:47PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 14 November 2009, Nix wrote:
> >On 11 Nov 2009, Oliver Block spake thusly:
> >> I sporadically encounter repetitions of my keystrokes. What happens is
> >> the following:
> >>
> >> I press any key, say "a", and instead of getting just one "a" I get many.
> >> Not just a few but it is like if I would keep pressing the key. Then I
> >> have problems stopping this. Often it does not stop itself.  I cannot
> >> tell what I have done exactly in these situations, but normally I tried
> >> to press other keys to make this stopping. I guess I often used Esc.
> >> Then normally it stops and afterwards everything is fine. But
> >> this happens quite regularly (once every few hours) and it is very
> >> annoying. This behaviour is somewhat new (since a few month). I am not
> >> sure, but maybe it started after switching from a Ubuntu system to
> >> Debian lenny now. The installed xorg has version 1:7.3+20.
> >
> >Are you using kernels 2.6.31--2.6.31.4 on an SMP system or with PREEMPT
> >enabled? If so, this is a Linux kernel bug, fixed in 2.6.31.5.
>
> I wouldn't go so far as to say that its fixed, I've not noticed it
> ssssssssstooooping doing that yet, currently at 2.6.32-rc7.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^example, I fixed the rest of them, but its been a PIMA for 2 years
> now, over 2 motherboards and 5 or 6 keyboards, its never really stopped.

  I can concur, this is very annoying. It is happening for few years now,
on different kernels and architectures. But always on Linux.

--
Tomasz Torcz              ,,If you try to upissue this patchset I shall be seeking
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl   an IP-routable hand grenade.'' -- Andrew Morton (LKML)