xkb - separate layout for each window

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Nov 10 14:32:00 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 01:19:09PM +0100, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
> is there a way how to setup separate layout of keyboard for each window?
> Similar thing does gnome or some other desktops environments but I would like
> to setup this using setxkbmap or xorg.conf/hal. Is there a way?

no.

the xkb map is actually kept in the client, in order to do what you propose
you'd have to send mapping notify events with each enter/leave event and let
the client refresh the keymap if necessary. Possible, but then you need to
define what a "window" is.
the definition of a window in the X protocol is merely a rectangular area on
the screen clients can draw to (disclaimer: details missing). that applies
to virtually every visible item on the screen, though with recent efforts
those sometimes get consolidated into a single window. in short, what a
window is on the client is fairly unpredictable and since windows appear and
disappear all the time, a commandline interface for such a task would be
entertaining but mostly useless.

the definition of "window" you refer to is mostly implemented in the window
manager and doesn't apply here. you really need the WM/DE to do this kind of
stuff.

Cheers,
  Peter