Cursor freeze with XInput2

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu May 21 21:05:53 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 06:54:47PM +0200, Florian Echtler wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm running Peter's development branch with MPX/Xinput2, and mostly
> everything is working fine. However, I currently can't use gimp or
> inkscape. As soon as I click somewhere in the drawing, the cursor
> freezes and can't be moved anymore (regardless of whether I have only
> one or several pointers active). I can use the keyboard to switch to the
> console and kill gimp or inkscape, briefly making X usable again, but
> this will usually result in a X server crash some seconds later.

gimp is being nasty.
one of the behaviours changed is that if you directly grab an attached slave
device, it is detached for the duration of the grab. otherwise, a grabbed
device would still send events through the master device, which is just
wrong.
Gimp grabs all devices it can find as soon as you hit a button, so it floats
all slaves for you. IIRC it does so on a ButtonPress event, but once a
device is detached, it doesn't send core events anymore so the matching
release is never triggered. I don't know how to fix this without changing
gimp. A previous fix was to only list floating slave devices in
XListInputDevices, but that got removed from the XI2 branch recently.

the server crash isn't a gimp feature though, a backtrace would be
much appreciated.

Cheers,
  Peter