Screen blanking with intel driver.

Łukasz Maśko ed at yen.ipipan.waw.pl
Thu May 14 07:45:46 PDT 2009

I have a Dell D400 laptop with Intel i855GM graphics. I'm using the latest
Xorg with intel driver ver. 2.7.1 and xserver 1.6.1 under kernel 2.6.28.9.

I've noticed, that if I close my laptop's cover (with X running), two things
happen:

1. The backlight is not turned off. The screen is bright. I tried to use
vbetool to turn it off using acpid event (vbetool dpms off) ant it worked,
but...

2. When I close the cover for the first time, after I open it, the upper
part of the screen is gray (about 1/10th of its height, from the very top).
In the same time, the fonts are rendered in a wrong way. I cannot make a
screenshot, becouse if I do so, everything on the screenshot is just as it
should be. Therefore I've taken a photo which is available here:
http://yen.ipipan.waw.pl/~ed/DSC00230.JPG (notice a gray belt, some red
spots (they are not on the picture itself) and rendering of a taskbar,
especially in the lower right corner). Display goes back to a proper state
if I switch to a console and back. Then there are no problems.

After I close the cover second time, the machine hangs. When I open the
cover, all I can see is a blank screen with mouse pointer. The machine is
not responding to either mouse nor keyboard at all. There is also totally
no trace about any problem in system log files. The last thing are messages
about executing the acpid action, which succeeds.

I can reproduce the above easily, it just happens everytime. Has anyone came
across such problem?
--
Łukasz Maśko                                           GG:   2441498    _o)
Lukasz.Masko(at)ipipan.waw.pl                                           /\\