How to make xorg prefer "nvidia" over "nv" driver in a xorg.conf less configuration?

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.de
Thu May 14 00:33:35 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 05:20:08PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 06:58:44AM +0000, Francesco Pretto wrote:
> > I'm sorry, but this not a very useful answer. You are basically saying "the
> > driver loading priority of Xorg is hardcoded and if you want to change it,
> > recompile Xserver". I've already read that discussions in the past: I DON'T want
> > Xorg to default ship with "nvidia" set at higher priority and I perfectly agree
> > with reverting that commit. I just want to learn how to configure my system to
> > accomplish what I've asked. There are 2 considerations:
> >
> > 1) You've pointed me the driver loading priority is hardcoded in Xorg so can't
> > be changed by normal users. Maybe HAL fdi policies files can be used to
> > accomodate my task?
> > 2) If there's no configurable option to solve this, this would de definitively a
> > lacking feature: Xorg can't prefer one driver instead of another in a xorg.conf
> > less configuration. As I've explained, this would be very useful in my setup
> > where basically I continue to swap video card depending the fact I'm running
> > native or virtualized.
>
> If you want to configure Xorg, why not use xorg.conf?

What he wants to have is a config file (system) for the driver
priority system. We don't have this. It's hardcoded.

Actually it would make sense to have this configurable. Then, when
updating a driver with new chip support, you could update this config
file (system) and the Xserver would chose the right driver. No
xorg.conf required.

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.)   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0            Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479          D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de            Germany