gsoc and input redirection/transformation

Joel Bosveld joel.bosveld at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 07:27:57 PDT 2009

Hi,

I was considering submitting a proposal for Google Summer of Code, to get
input redirection in a state where it is able to be merged. It was suggested
on irc to bring this to the list, so here it is.  I was wondering if such a
project would be feasible, or suitable, for gsoc.

Looking over the previous posts on ML relating to IR, there is still a bit
of work to get correct behaviour with some (a lot of?) applications - this
has also been confirmed by my tests (with my not-published simple compiz
test plugin).  I'm not sure whether these problems are fixable in X, or
whether it would require patches to applications to remove assumptions that
break down with IR. I would guess the later, based on this:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2008-February/032747.html

Another feature that could be implemented is actual redirection, rather than
just transformation:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/compiz/2007-June/002314.html

Also, making sure everything works with MPX, XI2 - I did try this last year
some time, and it worked as well as the single pointer case. There is a
small part of the patch that still needs to be 'ported' to work master,
relating to sending motionNotify events when input mesh changes (which I
have just commented out for now)

Posts on ML indicate that there may be some work needed for transformations
of non top-level windows, and also some work with pointer grabs. Any thing
else that might need work?

I have attached patches that should apply to current (as of a few days, at
least) master. They are based on David Reveman's latest patches (that I
could find), with some modifications by SmSpillaz and myself.

So, would such a task be suitable for gsoc?

Joel.