suggestions for 3-monitor display

Tino Keitel tino.keitel+xorg at tikei.de
Sat Mar 28 04:56:55 PDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 02:56:24 -0700, Glen Lenker wrote:

[...]

> You probably just saved me a boatload of time. So would my setup then
> work if I could get a retro version of the intel driver? Do anyone
> know when intel stopped support for Xinerama?

I use the driver 1.7.4, the last release before 2.0. I patched the
source to build against the 1.4 Xserver and to detect my graphics
hardware, and use it with Xserver version 1.4.2.  However, my hardware
(i965) is already supported by the Intel 1.7.4 driver.  This might not
be the case with your newer hardware.

> IIRC recent versions of X require that the RANDR extension be used, is
> this correct? If so, will this create problems with using a retro

Xinerama is still supported by the server, at least with 1.4.2.

[...]

> I might as well ask this too. Is RandR support for more than one card
> close enough to extrapolate when it will be finished? I enjoy using
> RandR on my laptop, its a shame that it doesn't work with my desktop
> situation.

It was panned for RandR 1.3, but not included. Since the RandR 1.3
release, I didn't read anything about multiple card support anymore.

Regards,
Tino