General ATI TV-out problem with PAL B/G?

Andreas Juch xorg at juch.cc
Fri Mar 27 06:47:02 PDT 2009

Hi!

After trying to get TV-out working with two different notebooks on two
different TV sets I'm asking myself if the PAL B/G standard is working
at all in the radeon and mach64 drivers.

The TV output looks very similar with both devices: Black and white "ant
wars" screen which is somehow reacting to cursor-movement and moving
of windows, but far away from the output I would expect.

I looked a bit around in the source code of radeon_tv.c and didn't find
any special treatment for 50 MHz PAL standards (only PAL M and PAL 60).
I must admit I'm no C programmer and not familiar with X programming
either.

Has anybody successfully got TV output working in continental europe? I
know that the notebook with the radeon card is capable of TV output
with the TV set in question when it's running Windows XP, so no
hardware problem.

Best regards,
Andreas Juch