visual and PictFormat related question

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen eirik at opera.com
Wed Mar 4 08:19:00 PST 2009

Alexei Babich <a.babich at rez.ru> writes:

>> Just to be sure: You did pass the colormap to the XCreateWindow call?
>> (Adding the colormap to the "attributes" parameter and setting the
>> CWColorMap bit in "valuemask")
> In the example yesterday - no, I suppose, I did wrong way.
> Today I corrected the parameters of creation of the window, here is an example:
> ----
[...]
> ----

And it still fails?

> I have a lot of documentation on the X Window System, but due to poor English I do not often capture the nuances and this results in silly mistakes, as in yesterday's example (a situation with the XSetWindowAttributes.colormap when creating the window).
>
> I suppose it's an embarrassing trifle for respected gurus of the community, so maybe someone could tell me where a dialogue on such issues would be more appropriate?

There is certainly some value in having the "respected gurus of the
community" see the problems "mere mortals" have when trying to use
these things :)

I remember it took me quite some time to figure out these details as
well.  Much of it is documented, but not always where you would be
looking.  And not always clearly pointing out how badly things can
fail if you ignore that "little, insignificant detail".  The
requirement of having a valid colormap in XCreateWindow took me quite
some time to figure out.

Of course, the current attitude seems to be that Xlib (and xcb) should
not be used, except by toolkit authors.  The rest of us should just
use the standard toolkits.  (Now, if someone would actually come up
with a toolkit that didn't suck, that would be marvellous.)

> Or, specifically for the this topic, someone could point to an example, doing what I want, in a similar situation?

That's the strategy I've had the most success with, yes.
Unfortunately, I can't think of an obvious, simple one right now.

eirik