visual and PictFormat related question

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Mon Mar 2 07:58:11 PST 2009

Alexei Babich wrote:

> xdpyinfo shows, that my X-server supports two visuals: 24 and 32 bits
> (visuals IDs is: 0x21, 0x39); I aim to apply 'PictStandardARGB32'
> PictFormat to the windows. Visual having ID 0x39 is suitable for this
> type of PictFormat. But default visual of the root window is 0x21, so
> when I try to create windows with 0x39 visual, the root window as a
> parent, I always get a BadMatch error.

9 times out of 10 when I get that error, I find that I forgot to create
a new colormap with the new visual. You might also want to check that
you aren't trying to CopyFromParent anything else related to depth
(border pixmap, etc).

Yeah, I know, forcing the app to create a "colormap" for a TrueColor
visual is silly, but the protocol requires a Match error if you don't.

Peter Harris
--
               Open Text Connectivity Solutions Group
Peter Harris                    http://www.opentext.com/connectivity