xf86-video-chips driver support for multiple heads & CPU to Screen Color Expansion

Donald Kayser xorg at kayser.net
Tue Jun 23 09:14:16 PDT 2009

Hello,

I have been able to modify the driver to support independent images on
each head for the C&T 69030. I will make it available to all when
complete. I do not intend to check this in for a few reasons. 1) I
didn't like the way it was written with respect to formatting and with
respect to the number of devices it supports. 2) I only needed to
support one device, so I have mostly stripped out any code that did
not compile for my platform. Trying to cram and learn enough of
xserver and driver code into one several week project was enough of a
task. 3) These changes only work on the X7.3 release. I don't need it
to work beyond that, even for the target I have. 4) The code only
supported mirrored data from one head to the other, it also used IO
space that get's mapped to PCI/IO space to communicate with the driver
and partly uses memory registers. My product has two 69030
controllers, so only memory mapped I/O is allowed. 5) I made major
changes to the way registers are restored, and have no way of testing
against any other platforms.

Now, I have problems with CPU to Screen Color Expansion. When the XAA
architecture uses color expansion registers to transfer data to the
graphics memory, it is not accomplished through the frame buffer, but
through a 64K bit of PCI bus memory. I have a PPC processor, so I have
to worry about byte swapping, and all data that is Blit'd out he 64K
addresses have an odd swapping going on. It is hard to describe, but
if you start xfontsel and pick a family of nice 8x8 fixed pitch font
and look at the display, it read BADCFE... This has to be a swapping
problem somewhere, so I was wondering if anyone had insight on the
color expansion notion in a PPC environment.

Thanks,
Donald
xorg at kayser.net