override_redirect

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at freedesktop.org
Tue Jun 23 07:48:33 PDT 2009

On Jun 23, 2009, at 05:47, Bedő Sándor wrote:

> Hi!
>
> This will be much more an xlib question than an xorg one, so please
> forgive me!  Is there a way in a window manager to force all the other
> clients to set override_redirect to False in their
> XSetWindowAttributes
> structures on top level windows?  (I'm looking for something like
> AttributeChangeRequest event or so, where I can change this to
> False...)
> I know it sounds silly, but I really need this.

No, there's no way to force some other program to do what you want.
Most top-level windows should not be override-redirect.  The main uses
for o-r are menus and tooltips.  If an application is setting o-r on a
top level window, that's a bug, IMO, but they're free to do it.

Additionally, you "need this."  Please explain why you think you need
it, and we'll try to help you come up with a different approach.

--Jeremy