Strange issue with hal and Xorg [SOLVED-Workaround]

Matt Hayes dominian at slackadelic.com
Tue Jun 16 09:36:49 PDT 2009

Matt Hayes wrote:
> Normally, xorg.conf I could map my buttons using ZAxisMapping "4 5" and
> ButtonMapping "1 2 3 6 7" and Buttons "7" and things were dandy.
>
> Well, after the latest updates to Slackware and Xorg, what I'm seeing
> now is the side buttons on my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3 are
> mapping the buttons (side buttons) as 8 9 instead of 6 7.
>
> However, making a change in xorg.conf to facilitate the change in
> mapping, things DO work fine in X, but not other applications such as
> Enemy Territory.
>
> Below is my xinput list:
>
> "Virtual core pointer"  id=0    [XPointer]
>         Num_buttons is 32
>         Num_axes is 2
>         Mode is Relative
>         Motion_buffer is 256
>         Axis 0 :
>                 Min_value is -1
>                 Max_value is -1
>                 Resolution is 0
>         Axis 1 :
>                 Min_value is -1
>                 Max_value is -1
>                 Resolution is 0
> "Virtual core keyboard" id=1    [XKeyboard]
>         Num_keys is 248
>         Min_keycode is 8
>         Max_keycode is 255
> "Macintosh mouse button emulation"      id=2    [XExtensionPointer]
>         Type is MOUSE
>         Num_buttons is 32
>         Num_axes is 2
>         Mode is Relative
>         Motion_buffer is 256
>         Axis 0 :
>                 Min_value is -1
>                 Max_value is -1
>                 Resolution is 1
>         Axis 1 :
>                 Min_value is -1
>                 Max_value is -1
>                 Resolution is 1
> "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"  id=3    [XExtensionKeyboard]
>         Type is KEYBOARD
>         Num_keys is 248
>         Min_keycode is 8
>         Max_keycode is 255
> "Microsoft Microsoft 5-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)"        id=4
> [XExtensionPointer]
>         Type is MOUSE
>         Num_buttons is 32
>         Num_axes is 2
>         Mode is Relative
>         Motion_buffer is 256
>         Axis 0 :
>                 Min_value is -1
>                 Max_value is -1
>                 Resolution is 1
>         Axis 1 :
>                 Min_value is -1
>                 Max_value is -1
>                 Resolution is 1
>

> Now, what I don't understand is why hal is detecting the mouse as
> Num_buttons 32... I even created a hal policy to map the buttons how I
> normally would in xorg.conf and this had no effect.
>
> I'm at a loss.
>
> -Matt

Ok, well I finally got this figured it out.  The issue was evdev, of
course, some of the suggestions everyone made got me digging through
some research.

I added:

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
Option "AllowEmptyInput" "False"
EndSection

To my xorg.conf, restarted X, and what do you know.. .mouse buttons map
properly and Enemy Territory again picks it up.

Basically telling hal to go away :)

I know its more of a band-aid, but it works

Thanks everyone for the help,

Matt