ATI +Gnome + CompizFusion = X crash

Michael Schmitt mschmitt at unixkiste.org
Thu Jun 11 09:33:08 PDT 2009

Am Mittwoch, den 20.05.2009, 10:12 +0000 schrieb Felipe Lotas Asta:

> PABLO.
>

> > Subject: Re: ATI +Gnome + CompizFusion = X crash
> > From: michel at daenzer.net
> > To: slurpamela at hotmail.com
> > Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 12:23:53 +0200
> > CC: xorg at freedesktop.org
> >
> > On Sat, 2009-05-16 at 12:32 +0000, Felipe Lotas Asta wrote:
> > >
> > > Gnome 2.26.1
> > > xorg-server 1.6.1-1
> > > xorg-server-utils 7.4-6
> > > compiz-fusion-plugins-main 0.8.2-1
> > > compiz-fusion-plugins-extra 0.8.2-1
> > > ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
> > > xf86-video-ati 6.12.2-2
> >
> > Which version of Mesa?
> >

> > > The problem is that Compiz is very unstable. Some weeks ago it was
> > > working smoothly. Then came some Xorg, xf86-video-ati and Compiz
> updates
> > > all of a sudden and compiz started to crash very frequently,
> logging me
> > > out to GDM. Then came some more updates and thing has become
> better but
> > > still is crashing. Facts:
> > >
> > > 1. Starting Gnome session with Compiz-fusion but without
> Fusion-icon
> > > works for a while. Then, suddenly, X crashes and I get back to
> GDM.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > 3. No error messages on Xorg.log.
> >
> > Are you sure you looked at the log file from the crashed X server?
> When
> > another server starts afterwards, it moves the existing log file to
> > Xorg.0.log.old.
> >
> > If there's really nothing about the crash in the log file, you can
> also
> > check the gdm log file or the dmesg output.
> >

> > --
> > Earthling Michel Dänzer | http://www.vmware.com
> > Libre software enthusiast | Debian, X and DRI developer
>
> mesa 7.4.2-1
> libgl 7.4.2-1
>
> I've been running Compiz these two latest days to look for logs when
> it crashes, but surprisingly it is not crashing... besides I don't
> have too much time to spend with the computer this week... As soon as
> it crashes I'll write again with the logs.
>
> Thanks to all.

I think I had the same issue and got it fixed by installing
xf86-video-ati, drm and mesa from xorg git yesterday. Here most times
(but explicit not always) the complete X session got killed with a
segfault (in random places, sometimes xorg, sometimes
xfce4-session, ...) when I tried to switch between compiz and metacity
or xfwm4.
Right now I don't know if the driver, drm or mesa was at fault, but I
*think* it is mesa.

I have an ati rv530 on Debian sid, mesa / dri 7.4.1, and using the stuff
from git fixed the issue (at least up to now no re-occurrences).

regards and best wishes
Michael Schmitt