Xvfb - how to enable extensions (doesn't seem to be working right) XFree86-VidModeExtension

Tue Jun 9 07:43:08 PDT 2009

Jason Galyon wrote:
> Following the Xserver man pages, I started my Xvfb with a '-
> XFree86-VidModeExtension' (and tried with '+' as well.

That doesn't work in general, only for specific extensions - it should in
fact, be returning a fatal error & refusing to start (at least it does for
me).   The generic form is "+extension XFree86-VidModeExtension" or
"-extension ..."

However, even if you get the syntax right, it won't make your program work.
The XFree86-VidModeExtension is not implemented in Xvfb, only in Xorg/XFree86
itself (the code is in the XFree86 DDX layer at hw/xfree86/common/xf86VidMode.c
not up in one of the common layers shared with Xvfb & other servers) - so
you'd have to modify the Xvfb code to add support for that extension, but since
Xvfb doesn't connect to any monitors, the VidModeExtension seems pretty useless.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com