Xvfb - how to enable extensions (doesn't seem to be working right) XFree86-VidModeExtension

Jason Galyon jgalyon at sister.tv
Tue Jun 9 07:09:25 PDT 2009

Following the Xserver man pages, I started my Xvfb with a '-
XFree86-VidModeExtension' (and tried with '+' as well.

However,  when I  call (through Python Ctypes)
XF86VidModeGetAllModeLines() (I believe it is in libXxf86vm.so.1.0.0)
and receive:
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-VidModeExtension" missing on display
"localhost:0.0".

Box details:
Ubuntu 9.04 on Amazon EC2
headless
7 gigs RAM
Xvfb 2:1.6.0-0ubuntu14
Mesa libs 7.4-0ubuntu3.1

I have no xorg.conf.  Should I be using dummy drivers for my screen and
so forth?

Also, how do I receive output (and log it outside of just redirecting on
shell) like with non Xvfb X servers?  This will tell me what was loaded,
where problems where, etc.

I have been fighting with this for months, and I would greatly
appreciate someone helping me out on this.  Thank you.

--
Jason Galyon
Silver Screen Tele-Reality, Inc.