X.org release engineering?

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Tue Jun 9 03:41:27 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 04:20:00PM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> Security is handled out of band like any other project.  We'll release
> patches for at least the most recent release, probably do a point
> release for same, and anyone shipping anything older gets to backport.

In practise, this didn't happen though. I don't care about most other
parts, but this one is and was a huge regression compared to the
monolithic word.

Another issue is of course the undocumented incompatibility. Typical
example: you can build xf86-video-intel against xorg-server-1.4.x Trying
to use it shows all kinds of trouble. Proper failure in this case is
better than all kind of mysterious bugs.

Joerg