evdev+hal => Too many input devices.

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Jul 6 20:24:06 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 10:08:50PM +0200, Łukasz Maśko wrote:
> Dnia poniedziałek, 6 lipca 2009, Peter Hutterer napisał:
> > On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 09:26:06AM +0200, Łukasz Maśko wrote:
> > > Dnia poniedziałek, 6 lipca 2009, Peter Hutterer napisał:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Here it is.
> >
> > urgh, not as zip file please. Always attach files to bugreports or
> > mailinglists uncompressed - the harder you make it for someone to look at
> > the file the lower the chances that someone does.
>
> Sorry, but the log file after 14 days has >200KB, therefore I didn't attach
> it to my mail uncompressed.
>
> > if the file is really as long as you claim, check for add/remove devices.
>
> There is nothing suspicious in the part before the logs, that I've written
> about yesterday. Besides, everything had worked till then.
>
> > I remember a bluetooth bug where devices never get removed, so each time
> > the mouse connected it would be added as new device - with the old one
> > still staying there.
>
> Everytime I hibernate, I stop the bluetooth susbsystem and unload USB
> modules - required by tuxonice. So it would have been be strange, if the
> counter was increased and not reseted while subsystem restart.
> If I come accross this problem again I'll check, if the mouse stops working
> under console.

try exactly that then - restarting bluetooth or usb over and over again. the
server-internal counter is at 20 (40 in git) so it's easy enough to trigger.

if you're running a git server, just run xinput --create-master "foo" a few
times to increase the number of devices already present. this way the
the error will happen sooner.

Cheers,
  Peter