xhost question

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Mon Jan 26 16:39:14 PST 2009

>>>>> "Gene" == Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> writes:

Gene> My home network is behind a firewall, and I would like to be to
Gene> automatically do the equivalent of:

Gene> xhost +name machine1
Gene> xhost +name machine2

Gene> without having to open a shell to do it, as part of the startx
Gene> (startKDE) dialog.

I beleive you can add those hostnames to /etc/X0.hosts (for server 0)
to do that.

You may want to run 'strings /usr/bin/Xorg|grep -F .hosts' (as root if
it is setuid) to confirm whether your dist made any changes to that
file's default location.

The other alternative is to make the ~/.Xauthority file available on
those other hosts, perhaps by a common NFS mount.

-JimC