Fedora 10: Trouble installing libdrm (2.4.4) for latest Intel driver (2.6)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 10:49:55 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Joe Smith <stopads at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Here's one big difference with the instructions on that
>> page. Since
>> you built a full kernel rather than building the drm kernel
>> modules
>> against your current kernel, they're already loaded
>> when boot with the
>> new kernel. You don't need to unload/reload the drm
>> modules.
>
> So you're saying if I ran that script while I was booted into my old kernel, it would have generated the drm.ko and i915.ko in the /opt/gfx-test directory?  But since I was running the newer kernel, the script skipped that step...?  (I'm just trying to understand how it this works)

Sort of. In the drm checkout, there's a directory called linux-core.
This contains the drm kernel modules. If you do "make -C linux-core"
as specified in that script, you will get a handful of drm kernel
modules built against your running kernel in there.

More recently, intel has moved to developing the drm modules directly
in a full linux tree instead of externally from the drm repository.
Hence, this is why you built a full new kernel and booted into it. You
can entirely ignore the "make -C linux-core" step in the drm
repository when you're using intel. In fact, the intel modules have
been removed from the drm repository to reduce confusion, so "make -C
linux-core" will not result in any i915.ko at all. The ones you want
are all in /lib/modules, assuming that you've installed the new kernel
you built.

The other part of the drm repository, libdrm, is still needed. This
follows the typical ./configure; make; make install commands, though.

--
Dan