EXAVSync option in the latest GIT Radeon driver

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 06:55:22 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 7:55 AM, Miro Hadzhiev <extigyro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure where i should post this, whether in the
> http://bugs.freedesktop.org/ or here in the mailing list. So I'll post my
> issue/question here first.
>
> Today (Monday 19 January 2009) I compiled the Radeon driver from the GIT
> repository. Everything goes flawlessly - configuration, make, make install.
> My OS is openSuSE 11.1. So far, so good.
>
>  I tried the EXAVSync option in xorg.conf and there is really almost no
> flickering while watching video files with XV enabled. However, there is an
> interesting issue in the latest git driver. There is lots of flickering
> while playing flash animation and films (vbox7.com, youtube.com, etc.), when
> VSync is enabled.

the EXAVSync option has nothing to due with Xv.  The Xv anti-tearing
stuff is handled separately by an Xv attribute and is enabled by
default.  The EXAVSync option stalls all EXA rendering until the
display is past the relevant vlines.  In most cases you shouldn't need
the EXAVSync option for videos.

Alex