intel 2.6.0: EXA choppy, UXA has artifacts

Peter Clifton pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Jan 17 13:57:07 PST 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-17 at 18:48 +0100, Khashayar Naderehvandi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying out the newly released intel driver on a X4500 chipset.
> The stack is composed of:
>
> * kernel 2.6.28 with the patches from
> http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2008Q4.html applied
> * libdrm 2.4.4
> * mesa 7.3rc1
> * xorg-server 1.5.99.901.
> * intel driver 2.6.0
>
> With EXA compiz becomes unusably choppy and slow. I don't know how to
> explain the behavior in a good way, but it's like everything is run
> through a stroboscope. Sort of.
> With UXA, on the other hand, everything's smooth and nice, but there
> are certain artifacts. Like this:
> http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/175461/uxa-artifacts.png.
>
> Are these issues known? Any workarounds?

The screen-saver you're previewing probably uses GL. Sounds like there
is a chance you've not got DRI2 working properly?

I've got a similar setup to you, and UXA is working nicely. (Just turn
sync to vblank off in Compiz if you want framerate > 1/3 fps!)

Check the Xorg.0.log to see if DRI2 is enabled.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,