intel 2.6.0: EXA choppy, UXA has artifacts

Ben Gamari bgamari at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 10:21:35 PST 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-17 at 18:48 +0100, Khashayar Naderehvandi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying out the newly released intel driver on a X4500 chipset.
> The stack is composed of:
>
> * kernel 2.6.28 with the patches from
> http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2008Q4.html applied
> * libdrm 2.4.4
> * mesa 7.3rc1
> * xorg-server 1.5.99.901.
> * intel driver 2.6.0
>
> With EXA compiz becomes unusably choppy and slow. I don't know how to
> explain the behavior in a good way, but it's like everything is run
> through a stroboscope. Sort of.

Does seem that redraws are occurring only when you move the mouse, use
the keyboard, or some other interrupt-generating event? Check dmesg for
any odd messages. A few weeks ago, we were having issues with the GPU's
interrupt getting disabled such that the driver wouldn't be notified
when the chip was done drawing. This would cause unusably "choppy"
behavior.

The problem is tricky, but it appears that enabling message signaled
interrupts generally works around it, although I think there are a few
people who can still reproduce it.