[Fwd: Dual Monitor problem]

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Fri Jan 16 14:21:37 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:43:06PM +0100, Ferenc Vajda wrote:
> I don't know if I am at the right place.

You are.

> I need some help setting my
> dual monitor system, which does not really work on my computer.
>
> I have been experienced several hours to set up my notebook to use an
> additional external monitor, but only mirroring works (and only in res.
> 1280x1024). What I need is two separate desktops where I can move cursor
> and windows between the two screens (a large desktop would be also
> acceptable, but two separate is better).

What's the difference between a single large desktop and two separate
desktops, if you can drag windows between them?  Separate workspace
switching?  I'm afraid I don't know of any window manager that would
support that.

> Parameters:
>   HP Compaq 6710b --> video: Intel GMA X3100 (resolution 1650x1080 )
>     + external 1280x1024 LCD (Belinea ...)
>   Linux: Fedora 9
>
> Experiences with xorg.conf (original and current xorg.conf are attached
> below)
>   - added to ServerLayout
>         Screen      0  "Laptop Screen" 0 0
>         Screen      1  "External Screen" rightof "Laptop Screen"

This kind of old-style static multi-screen configuration is no longer
supported.  See http://intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html for details
about the new configuration options.

I'd suggest going back to the original xorg.conf and adding just a
single tweak to it: in section "Screen", add a SubSection "Display",
with a Virtual line specifying the largest total desktop size (summed
over all monitors) that you're going to use.  Then you can use xrandr
from the command line or, e.g., GNOME's Screen Resolution applet to drag
your monitors around to a desired configuration.

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--
If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem.