[Fwd: Dual Monitor problem]

Ferenc Vajda xorg at fercsi.com
Fri Jan 16 03:43:06 PST 2009

Hi,

I don't know if I am at the right place. I need some help setting my dual monitor system,
which does not really work on my computer.

I have been experienced several hours to set up my notebook to use an
additional external monitor, but only mirroring works (and only in res.
1280x1024). What I need is two separate desktops where I can move cursor
and windows between the two screens (a large desktop would be also
acceptable, but two separate is better).

Parameters:
  HP Compaq 6710b --> video: Intel GMA X3100 (resolution 1650x1080 )
    + external 1280x1024 LCD (Belinea ...)
  Linux: Fedora 9

Experiences with xorg.conf (original and current xorg.conf are attached
below)
  - added to ServerLayout
        Screen      0  "Laptop Screen" 0 0
        Screen      1  "External Screen" rightof "Laptop Screen"
  - created devices
      Section "Device"
          Identifier  "Primary Videocard"
          BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
          Driver      "intel"
          Option  "MonitorLayout" "LVDS, CRT"
          Option "MetaModes" "1680x1050-1280x1024"
          Screen 0
          Option "MergedFB" "off"
      EndSection

      Section "Device"
          Identifier  "Secondary Videocard"
          BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
          Driver      "vesa"
          Screen 1
          Option "MergedFB" "off"
      EndSection
  - if I used intel in secondary Videocard, it did not work.
  - if I change BusID of Secondary card, nothing happens.
  - I also tried to use the same Device for the two screens, also mirrored
  - I defined two monitors
      Section "Monitor"
          Identifier "Monitor 1"
      EndSection
      Section "Monitor"
          Identifier "Monitor 2"
      EndSection
  - and screens
      Section "Screen"
          Identifier "Laptop Screen"
           Device     "Primary Videocard"
           Monitor    "Monitor 1"
          DefaultDepth     24
          SubSection "Display"
              Viewport   0 0
              Depth     24
              Modes "1680x1050 at 60"
           EndSubSection
      EndSection
      Section "Screen"
          Identifier "External Screen"
          Device     "Secondary Videocard"
           Monitor    "Monitor 2"
           DefaultDepth     24
           SubSection "Display"
               Viewport   0 0
               Depth     24
               Modes "1280x1024"
           EndSubSection
      EndSection
  - I tried to modify modes (and device metamodes) to "1024x768" for
both. As a result, screens were mirrored as 1280x1024 (as if I did not
do anything) (note: if I write stupid things to xorg.conf, X does not start)
  - also the followings were added
      Section "DRI"
          Mode 0666
      EndSection

default xorg.conf and my one
# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# keyboard added by rhpxl
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option      "XkbLayout" "hu"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard0"
    Driver      "intel"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Videocard0"
    DefaultDepth     24
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
# Modified to dual screen

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
[...]

#   Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor 2"
[...]

If I set screen using built in monitor settings utility, it does not
save configuration if I set dual screen. Further I tried to install
Windows XP and everythink worked fine, so I do not really think that
there are video memory problems or similar.

Could you, please, help me?

Thank you in advance,

Regards,
Ferenc Vajda