[multiseat] hard freeze when running "X -arguments... :1"

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Jan 7 05:39:17 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 07:43:04AM +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Tiago Vignatti schrieb:
> >> So far I have one problem: my computer freezes whenever I want to use
> >> GDM as a desktop manager. On the other hand, everything works fine if
> >> I use KDM.
> >>
> >> Closer investigation turned up that the freeze does not really depend
> >> on the desktop manager, but on the order X servers are started.
> >
> > Some days ago I answered to you in what mess we're living (search for
> > <494EE380.1040506 at c3sl.ufpr.br>). You won't be able to initialize more
> > than one X server so soon.
>
> "Not being able to initialize more than one X server" doesn't sound like
> a right direction of development to me, or?

'Direction of development' and 'current unfortunate reality' are two
entirely different things.  We're working on it; patches would be more
than welcome: kernel modesetting and VGA arbitration are currently works
in progress (at least, for Linux), and we'd more than welcome help with
both.

Cheers,
Daniel