Mouse and KVM Issue

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Jan 4 16:57:19 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 12:34:50PM -0500, - gw1500se wrote:

> I am having a problem with my Microsoft PS/2 optical wheel mouse when I
> switch between machines with a KVM switch. Specifically, my Mandriva machine
> no longer recognizes a mouse is attached (Windows does not have a problem
> with switching). Some research has come up with a suggestion that the mouse
> protocol be changed in xorg.conf to PS/2. However, it is currently
> ExplorerPS/2 and when I try to change it, it magically reverts so I don't
> know if that change will fix my problem or not.

what version of the server?
watch the xorg.log when you switch to and fro the machine, it'll probably
notice the mouse going away, but not coming back. In this case it could be
either a problem with the kernel or with HAL.

try adding "AutoAddDevices" "false" to you ServerLayout section and restart
the server. This forces the server to use the mouse driver (by default on
/dev/input/mice) and leave all the hotplugging to the kernel.
Does the mouse work then? If not - definitely a kernel problem.

> Perhaps someone can tell me either why the mouse protocol will not stay the
> way I set it or, better yet, why the mouse goes away after using the KVM
> switch.

most likely because your xorg.conf settings are ignored, as they usually are
with servers 1.5 and above.
http://who-t.blogspot.com/2008/12/evdev-xorgconf-hal-and-other-fud.html

Cheers,
  Peter