Mouse and KVM Issue

- gw1500se awingnut at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 1 09:34:50 PST 2009

I am having a problem with my Microsoft PS/2 optical wheel mouse when I switch between machines with a KVM switch. Specifically, my Mandriva machine no longer recognizes a mouse is attached (Windows does not have a problem with switching). Some research has come up with a suggestion that the mouse protocol be changed in xorg.conf to PS/2. However, it is currently ExplorerPS/2 and when I try to change it, it magically reverts so I don't know if that change will fix my problem or not.

Perhaps someone can tell me either why the mouse protocol will not stay the way I set it or, better yet, why the mouse goes away after using the KVM switch.

As an alternative, is there a USB utility I can use to monitor the device and reload the driver when it senses it is back?

Thanks.