radeon supported resolutions?

Robert Hancock hancockr at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 2 14:17:29 PST 2009

Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2008/12/27 23:07 (GMT+0200) Nikos Chantziaras composed:
>
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>
>>> I have DVI cards and
>>> displays and cables, but have never found reason to try them.
>
>> Better picture quality.  Many people can't make out a difference though.
>
> Exactly. How does any normal person find an opportunity to see any
> difference? Most of the internet is extreme lowfi designed for 1024x768 or below.

All you need is a simple xterm to see the difference in many cases. With
a VGA connection the monitor tries to line up the monitor pixels with
the pixels in the image but it often doesn't quite get it right and you
end up with blurry text. Even if it is lined up properly there may still
be blurring between pixels depending on how good the analog output on
the video card is (on some it is quite poor especially at high
resolution) and the analog input circuitry on the monitor.

With DVI none of this is an issue.

> All my systems use 1400x1050 or higher, mostly to minimize text jaggies by
> having mor available px for any given text size. Other than the anti-jaggie
> effect, I find it difficult to see the benefit of high resolution, and can
> hardly imagine being able to identify the benefit of the digital hardware
> connection.
>
>> For, the most important point is that I don't have to press the
>> "auto-adjust" button of my monitor with DVI nor set-up any
>> "phase/white/etc" values in the monitor's OSD; DVI always gets it perfectly.
>
> If my 1080p HDTV is any indication, "perfect" is entirely subjective. It has
> 9 preset modes plus custom, all of which are various combinations of
> backlight, brightness, contrast, "color", tint & sharpness. With my only
> other LCD, the screen I'm writing this on, the only adjustments I've made are
> to reduce the brightness & contrast from the stupid 100% defaults. As long as
> I'm not looking at a color wheel, I find it difficult to see any color "error".
>
> OTOH, I've been reading Linux mailing lists for years. I often see workaround
> for problem = use VGA instead of DVI, and never the other way around.

These days I think that is quite rare..