correct location of evdev?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat Feb 28 17:46:20 PST 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 12:11:06PM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 10:48:08AM +0100, Marc Weber wrote:
> > This last one isn't. It looks like some other output has been passed to args?
> > I don't understand yet what is happening here (between args and "exit
> > code" there should only be the expansion of "$@"..  But there is also an
> > error message?)
> >
> >     pwd: / args: /nix/store/vxkwhi4yvlrkn0b2hphqaa5avmpgmz5r-xkbcomp-git/bin/xkbcomp.orig -w 1 -R/nix/store/i1kji9v61b00iwqpn5w9mhvvszx07v4x-xkeyboard-config-git/etc/X11/xkb -xkm - -em1 The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports: -emp >  -eml Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server /nix/store/xgxjshwf8msly1zbzhfgfrq1f1ibwl1d-xorg-server-git/share/X11/xkb/compiled/server-0.xkm exit code 1 stdout:  , stderr The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> >   > Error:            Can't find file "evdev" for keycodes include
> >   >                   Exiting
> >   >                   Abandoning keycodes file "default"
> >   Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
>
> No, that's fine too.  The arguments are to tell it how to format its
> output (awesome).  The error is telling you what you need to know: that
> it can't find keycodes/evdev in your XKB path.  Either you haven't got
> xkeyboard-config installed to that path, or it's too old.

I've found that after reading that part of the C code as well. I haven't
seen that before so it took some time to see that :)

The concept of nixos is to store everypackage within its own path.
That's why there are that many /nix/store/hash-name/ paths above.
After having installed the packages into the store those dirs are made
readonly. Now xkbcomp tries to save to one of those paths and fails.

The next small issue I have is that xkeyboard-config and xkbmodmap both
depend on each other in some way:
xkeyboard-config requires some header files of xkbcomp
xkbcomp requires the installation path of xkeyboard-config to find evdev. [1]

[1] of course xkbcomp doesn't "require" it cause instead of passing
--datadir at configuration time you could also use the -I option to add
additional includes. However the xserver doesn't support this, does it?

I still have to read some more code to understand that all. It's all
there. It wil just take some more time..

Let's see wether I can compile xorg using --enable-debug and what that
does exactly..

Marc Weber