[EDIT] Why do I need mouse acceleration to move windows and click buttons?

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Thu Feb 26 11:22:15 PST 2009

Dirk wrote:
> Well I had read the xset manual but it kept re-enabling itself.
I'd say it was re-enabled by something else. Probably your desktop
environment. Yet, to Xorg, a notable difference.

> I didn't know I had to read /many/ manuals to permanently disable mouse
> acceleration in Linux... but then again I thought the nineties were over...
Well, in fact the mouse acceleration (or deceleration, for that matter)
isn't a relic of the nineties any more. Especially fast-paced games
could as well profit from it, since it combines precision and speed in a
manner high-DPI alone can't, period. It's 1.6rc/git only, though.

Anyway, you can switch it so off it won't even consume CPU cycles, nor
be re-enabled through rampant desktop engines, which is probably crucial:

<match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.mouse">
   <merge key="input.x11_options.AccelerationScheme"
type="string">none</merge>
</match>