Xvesa black magic

Rene Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Fri Feb 13 02:33:44 PST 2009

On 12.02.2009, at 12:06, Rémi Cardona wrote:

> Rene Rebe a écrit :
>> The random regressions and feature removal in the open source
>> world these days really make one wonder.
>
> As far as Xvesa is concerned, it's hardly random at all. It's a pile
> of
> code that did the same job as the kernel's frame buffer
> infrastructure.
>
> Even regular Xorg has been going that way too with GEM and KMS.

Yeah - but with this in user-space one can keep this code disabled
in the kernel. Also the user-space code can mode set and this
uvesafb thing with user-space mode-set helper is way too ugly for
my taste. I'd rather have it all in a single user-space (Xvesa) in that
case (of tiny, unaccelerated graphic needs).

But well, I can still keep maintain an old copy of the code now that
upstream/mainline decided to drop it, ...