Xvesa black magic

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Feb 12 06:49:00 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:32:57AM +0100, Rene Rebe wrote:
> On 12.02.2009, at 09:59, Rémi Cardona wrote:
> > Le 12/02/2009 09:38, Rene Rebe a écrit :
> >> Even more annoying is that the kdrive xvesa was deleted from
> >> the xorg-server git repository some weeks ago!
> >>
> >>    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=6d21fbf00648307208146aca0837ec63ea490659
> >>
> >> Too bad the commit message does not even indicate why, ...
> >
> > Because it had been severely broken by other changes in the server and
> > no-one really cared about it anyway.
> >
> > You'll probably be much better off using kdrive's Xfbdev on top of
> > uvesafb or another kernel fb driver.
>
> The random regressions and feature removal in the open source
> world these days really make one wonder.

Is there any particular reason why you can't use the Xorg server with
evdev for input (hell, kbd/mouse if you like pain) and the vesa or fbdev
driver?

Removing KDrive wasn't random at all.  The size benefit was tiny
compared to a pruned Xorg installation (e.g. removing XAA, the I2C TV
encoder modules, etc), so there was no use keeping it around.

Cheers,
Daniel, who was the KDrive maintainer and is happy with it being removed