How To Disable input driver

Magnus Kessler Magnus.Kessler at gmx.net
Thu Feb 12 00:30:50 PST 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 08:37:44PM +0000, Magnus Kessler wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 February 2009, linux multitouch wrote:
> > > Hi
> > > I am using Xorg version - 1.5.2
> > > I am developing kernel driver which create /dev/eventX - file.
> > > when i insert the kernel driver X11 thinks it's a mouse.
> > > how can i configure the X11 to ignore the driver (/dev/eventX)
> > > thanks
> >
> > Assuming your Xorg server is configured via hal, you can place a file
> > in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ that removes the driver key.
> >
> > I use the following file to suppress a joystick from being recognized
> > as an X11 input device:

> > <deviceinfo version="0.2">
> >   <device>
> >     <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input">
> >       <!-- Match on anything you like from lshal -->
> >       <match key="input.product" contains="SomeProduct Identifier">
> >         <remove key="info.capabilities"/>
> >         <remove key="input.x11_driver"/>
> >       </match>
> >     </match>
> >   </device>
> > </deviceinfo>
> >
> > Similarly you could use an fdi file to instruct Xorg to use your own
> > input driver. Have a look at the fdi files provided for e.g. synaptics
> > touchpads.
>
> Actually, just removing input.x11_driver alone is enough, it's the only
> thing we really care about in the server.
>
> Cheers,
>   Peter

Indeed, just removing the input driver key is enough. The line about the
capabilities was a left-over from trying to have the joystick NOT recognized
as a mouse in the first place.

A previous version read something like:

        <remove key="info.capabilities"/>
        <merge key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">input.joystick</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">joystick</merge>

If memory serves correctly without the capabilities lines the joystick
driver would not work correctly, as it was getting confused by the buttons.
But this was some time ago and I haven't played with the settings recently.

Cheeers,

Magnus