Newer libtool breaking libXfont with -Wl, -single_module (Was Re: autoreconf issue with libXfont)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 07:01:32 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:18 AM, Jeremy Huddleston
<jeremyhu at freedesktop.org> wrote:
> Ok, after a bit more poking, this seems to be a fairly annoying bug
> with glibtool.
>
> Minimizing any chance of conflict, I have a working build using the
> libtool provided by configure in the tarball, and I have a broken
> build if I replace it with glibtool-1.5.26 after running ./configure.
> The delta between the verbose output of the builds is below.  For
> those not willing to go crosseyed looking for the difference, it's
> just a single -Wl,-single_module being added to the linking in the
> 'broken' build.  This is not my area of expertise... so if someone
> could fill me in on why that is winding up in LDFLAGS and why it's
> causing up problems, I'd appreciate it...

I don't know what -single_module does, but this logic is entirely in
libtool. Furthermore, it's entirely in a darwin-specific section of
libtool. So, the best thing to do is try to find the darwin libtool
hero and see if they can give you some insight. Or, try slogging
through libtool.m4 and/or ltmain.sh and see if you can't figure out
what's happening yourself.

--
Dan