Is xorg-server-1.7.3 necessary to modify to suit FreeBSD?

Sagara Wijetunga sagara at tomahawk.com.sg
Tue Dec 22 23:04:56 PST 2009

Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Sagara Wijetunga wrote:
>
>> Appreciate if the X.org foundation could confirm that Xorg 7.5 could be
>> used on FreeBSD 7.2 without being patched.
>>

> The X.Org Foundation cannot do that - we do not have the resources to
> test releases on every single version of every OS and distribution out
> there.  That work is done by the developers who work on integrating Xorg
> to those platforms.   (BTW, the X Window System version is currently
> X11R7.5 - the current Xorg server release is 1.7.3.)
>
> We don't know of reasons why it wouldn't work, but you'll have to try
> building and testing it yourself to find out if you want to skip ahead
> of what the FreeBSD maintainers have done.

Hi Alan

Appreciate your reply.

I have installed the xorg-server-1.7.3 without patching.

I tried to verify the Xorg server as follows:
Xorg -configure

cat >> ~/xorg.conf.new << "EOF"
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
EndSection
EOF

Xorg -config xorg.conf.new

Console goes blank and does not respond but system functions well.

The last line of /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows:
(EE) config/hal: couldn't initialise context: unknown error (null)

What does it indicate? Does this indicate that Xorg seems ok but I
should check the installation of HAL?

Regards
Sagara