Is xorg-server-1.7.3 necessary to modify to suit FreeBSD?

Robert Noland rnoland at 2hip.net
Tue Dec 22 21:47:03 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 20:13 -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Sagara Wijetunga wrote:
> > Appreciate if the X.org foundation could confirm that Xorg 7.5 could be
> > used on FreeBSD 7.2 without being patched.
>
> The X.Org Foundation cannot do that - we do not have the resources to
> test releases on every single version of every OS and distribution out
> there.  That work is done by the developers who work on integrating Xorg
> to those platforms.   (BTW, the X Window System version is currently
> X11R7.5 - the current Xorg server release is 1.7.3.)
>
> We don't know of reasons why it wouldn't work, but you'll have to try
> building and testing it yourself to find out if you want to skip ahead
> of what the FreeBSD maintainers have done.

1.7.3 works fine on FreeBSD, I won't say without patches... but they are
pretty minimal.  The primary reason that I haven't updated the FreeBSD
ports yet is due to that fact that various cards have ripped out
functionality that users currently have.  So, as I update things to give
people new functionality, I have to break things for other users....

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at 2hip.net>
2Hip Networks