A couple of problem with xorg-server 1.7.3

Gregoire Gentil gregoire at gentil.com
Fri Dec 11 10:53:51 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 22:46 +0100, Tormod Volden wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Pat Kane <pekane52 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Citēju Gregoire Gentil <gregoire at gentil.com>:
> >
> >> First, since the version later than 1.5.3, X takes a very long time to
> >> start, especially I have a blank screen for almost seven seconds! :-( I
> >> would like to know how I can debug what X is trying to do during this
> >> very long time.
>
> There is a timestamp patch here (courtesy Bryce Harrington):
> http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-xorg/xserver/xorg-server.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/patches/160_log_timestamping.patch;hb=refs/heads/ubuntu
>
> Tormod
Thanks to everyone who has replied and given some advice to my initial
post.

This log patch would deserve to be part of the release, as it adds a lot
of value to Xorg.0.log.

After some investigations, I have fixed a few stupid things, and the
situation has improved. Nevertheless, I discovered that the whole hal
discovery creates a lot of delay. Taking into account that i have fixes
input devices (touchpad / keyboard on USB, touchscreen on I2C), how can
I disable the hal discovery and hard-code the three input that I have?
Would the following xorg.conf make sense? I'm still confused by
"AutoAddDevices" and "AllowEmptyInput".

Section "Module"
	Load		"extmod"
	Load		"dbe"
	Disable		"dri2"
	Disable		"glx"
	Disable		"dri"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option		"AutoAddDevices"	"false"
#	Option		"AllowEmptyInput"	"false"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"DefaultLayout"
	Screen		"Screen0"
        InputDevice	"Touchscreen0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Screen0"
	Device		"Device0"
	Monitor		"Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth	16
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	16
		Modes	"1024x600"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Device0"
	Driver		"fbdev"
	Option		"ShadowFB" "false"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Touchscreen0"
	Driver		"tslib"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/touchscreen0"
EndSection

Grégoire