[Patch] Documenting pointer acceleration

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Fri Dec 11 07:50:43 PST 2009

Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> When I installed xinput, the first thing I did was look at the man
> page.  But it's nearly useless - all it really does is list how the
> commands map onto API functions.  I don't know the XInput API, so most
> of it doesn't mean anything to me.
I take it the man page is a good starter. Yeah, the xinput man isn't too
informative. But at least the ptr-feedback stuff now has some context.

>> In general, is it reasonable to point to the wiki from a man page? That
>> one's separate if the answer is no.
>
> Yes, if the wiki page has some real explanation.  I'd be a definite
> improvement.
I'll be adding a redacted wiki page to the docs some time.

> All of my boxes have mice and pointsticks.  My laptop also has a
> touchpad.  The xinput changes could have had real usability impacts
> for me - I've been waiting a long time to be able to individually
> adjust pointer acceleration per device.  User comprehensible docs
> would be awesome.
_Could_ have had? You know it's possible since to do that since 1.6? Or
am I misreading your statement?

Anyway, the doc stuff will be fixed, but it's not a priority for me.
Help appreciated ;)

@all
Is there some straightforward conversion wiki -> (acceptable doc format)?