XV Acceleration on Secondary Display

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 22:01:31 PST 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get XV acceleration to work on the secondary display on my
> laptop, and I'm not having any success. Playing videos with XV
> acceleration on the primary display works fine, but on the secondary it
> always falls back to X11 rendering which is sufficiently slow that the
> frame drop makes it unusable.
>
> I tried switching the layout around (making Screen1 0 0, Screen0 LeftOf
> Screen1) and that didn't make any difference. I also tried:
> Option "Primary" "true" on Screen1, but that didn't help, either.
>
> The VGA controller is an ageing Rage Mobility M4, and in lspci it shows
> up as a single device, but specifying an additional r128 device section
> without device ID and attaching Screen/Monitor sections to it gets the
> external screen up.
>
> How can I get the external monitor to be the primary (actually primary,
> not just by desktop icon placement appearance) and thus get XV
> acceleration on that instead of the laptop's built in screen?

It's a limitation of the r128 driver right now.  The video overlay
only works with the first display controller which is currently
hardcoded to drive the laptop flatpanel.  I had a branch at one time
in my repo on fdo to add support for r128 to the radeon driver,
including textured video support for r128 (which will work on
either/both head(s)), however, I need to find where I had that tree
since we lost /home on fdo.

Alex