XV Acceleration on Secondary Display

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Fri Dec 4 09:41:35 PST 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to get XV acceleration to work on the secondary display on my
laptop, and I'm not having any success. Playing videos with XV
acceleration on the primary display works fine, but on the secondary it
always falls back to X11 rendering which is sufficiently slow that the
frame drop makes it unusable.

I tried switching the layout around (making Screen1 0 0, Screen0 LeftOf
Screen1) and that didn't make any difference. I also tried:
Option "Primary" "true" on Screen1, but that didn't help, either.

The VGA controller is an ageing Rage Mobility M4, and in lspci it shows
up as a single device, but specifying an additional r128 device section
without device ID and attaching Screen/Monitor sections to it gets the
external screen up.

How can I get the external monitor to be the primary (actually primary,
not just by desktop icon placement appearance) and thus get XV
acceleration on that instead of the laptop's built in screen?

The other problem I have is that if the secondary screen is plugged in
when X starts, nothing appears on that screen, but if I unplug the
external screen, start X, then plug in the secondary monitor, both show
the correct output.

I'm using RHEL5 and the ATI driver is from this package:
xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.6.3-3.27.el5

TIA.

Gordan