Mouse Events in X11

Robin Watson rmawatson at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 4 15:28:47 PST 2009

Hi, I had a look at XFilterEvent. My problem is that currently I am not
receiving any MotionNotify events when my mouse goes over certain windows
that I have XSelectInput() on, and so XNextEvent() is not getting any events
for me to use with XFilterEvent.

With Eclipse-CDT's window, what is strange, is I will get maybe 1 or 2
MotionNotify Events at the edges of the window when I am entering it with
the pointer, but within the window I get none. The only other possibility I
can think of is that the window I am selecting on is not the correct one,
but there are other windows drawn on top of this one.

I have enumerated the whole window tree (from the root) and I am currently
using SelectInput() on a window  that I retrieve based on its WM_NAME, from
the window tree.

However if this is not the window that I should select on (the named one), I
cannot see how to accurately  work out which other window it should be.
There seem to be *many* unnamed windows that also exist in the window tree,
that are just children of the Root window .I can't quite see what other
information is available on these unnamed windows that I can key on, to work
out that it is part of 'application XXX..'

any suggestions ?

Rob.