Getting S-Video out working with X on an 8800GS

Audio Phile da_audiophile at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 2 01:00:36 PST 2009

I have an 8400GS that has an S-Video out and I want to run it connected to a SDTV only (not to a CRT and TV). When I connect the card to my TV via an S-video cable without connecting the monitor at all, I can watch Linux boot on the TV. Problem for me is when I start X. The TV goes blank. If I plug in a CRT monitor, X is being displayed there rather than on the TV. If I have the TV connected and I also connect a CRT monitor, I can get into X just fine. The nvidia-settings program doesn't detect my TV at all.

I should say that if I switch out the 8400GS (PCI) for an older 6200 (AGP) everything just works without any modifications to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf at all!  I've tried adding many of the suggested lines at the following wiki page, but still, no output to X: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/NVidia/TV-OUT

Here is the /etc/X11/xorg.conf that works with the 6200 (AGP) but not with the 8400GS (PCI):

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"