Exiting X causes console to flash violently after using xscreensaver or xrandr

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 16:38:40 PDT 2009

Hi, Maxim

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Maxim Levitsky<maximlevitsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 10:08 -0400, Glen Barber wrote:
>> Hi, list
>>
>> I'm trying to isolate a bug relating to exiting X and (possibly)
>> console drivers.
>>  I initially thought the problem was specific to OpenSolaris and
>> (K)(X)ubuntu on the machine in question, but now I've experienced it
>> on FreeBSD, which is where I am beginning
>> to really hit a wall.
>
> Does the flashing pattern change, when you move the mouse?
> If so I know the reason.

As a matter of fact, it does.

> When changing resolutions, X intel driver doesn't hide the cursor, and
> thus if you change to lower resolution, cursor might be placed outside
> the screen, and this confuses the output pipes. (and I didn't find a way
> to fix this, but a reboot)

Interesting.  Since I figured out that xscreensaver can cause it, if I
need to use it, I start it manually.  After I exit to the console and
the flashing begins, if I run 'startx' again, and exit to console,
everything is back to normal.

> I have committed a patch to fix that in intel driver, about year ago,
> but with kernel modesetting it is back, and I don't yet have time to fix
> it.

I appreciate your reply.  Now I know where to begin hacking. :-)

Thanks!

--
Glen Barber