Exiting X causes console to flash violently after using xscreensaver or xrandr

Maxim Levitsky maximlevitsky at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 06:36:41 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 10:08 -0400, Glen Barber wrote:
> Hi, list
>
> I'm trying to isolate a bug relating to exiting X and (possibly)
> console drivers.
>  I initially thought the problem was specific to OpenSolaris and
> (K)(X)ubuntu on the machine in question, but now I've experienced it
> on FreeBSD, which is where I am beginning
> to really hit a wall.

Does the flashing pattern change, when you move the mouse?
If so I know the reason.

When changing resolutions, X intel driver doesn't hide the cursor, and
thus if you change to lower resolution, cursor might be placed outside
the screen, and this confuses the output pipes. (and I didn't find a way
to fix this, but a reboot)

I have committed a patch to fix that in intel driver, about year ago,
but with kernel modesetting it is back, and I don't yet have time to fix
it.

Best regards,
	Maxim Levitsky