Documentation?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Apr 9 06:51:54 PDT 2009

> I've always wondered why.  It makes no sense.  The network-oriented
> nature of X means you should do your best to send as little data as
> possible, and prerendered pixmaps are nowhere near minimal.  Why isn't
> fontconfig/xft and even pango in the server where it seems to belong?

It turns out to be a win on round trips (latency) to put it client side,
it keeps the complex hard work on the client and suprisingly it turns out
to be pretty even on bandwidth for most cases.

Latency is the big one - networks get faster but the speed of light
doesn't show any sign of altering too much.

Alan