New guts in box, including video?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Sep 30 20:17:43 PDT 2008

Greetings all;

In my quest to build a box that will run google sketchup, I finally
threw money at it.

New ASUS mobo, quad core AMD Phenom, 4GB.  From lspci -v
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 94c3 (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Diamond Multimedia Systems Unknown device 0710
        Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Memory at fdde0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        I/O ports at 6c00 [size=256]
        Expansion ROM at fddc0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [a0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
        Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information <?>

03:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device aa10
        Subsystem: Diamond Multimedia Systems Unknown device aa10
        Memory at fddfc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [a0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
        Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information <?>

From Xorg.0.log, I learn that this Diamond 2400HD-Pro is an R600
chipset, and that support is very thin, no accelerations at all.

glxgears is stuttery and only just over 300 fps. tvtime won't run, reporting
that it need something in the way of an overlay that is not available:
root at coyote /]# tvtime
Running tvtime 1.0.1.
Reading configuration from /etc/tvtime/tvtime.xml
Reading configuration from /root/.tvtime/tvtime.xml
xvoutput: No XVIDEO port found which supports YUY2 images.

*** tvtime requires hardware YUY2 overlay support from your video card
*** driver.  If you are using an older NVIDIA card (TNT2), then
*** this capability is only available with their binary drivers.
*** For some ATI cards, this feature may be found in the experimental
*** GATOS drivers: http://gatos.souceforge.net/
*** If unsure, please check with your distribution to see if your
*** X driver supports hardware overlay surfaces.

What is the prognosis for improved or even full support of this card?

I have found on the ati site, this installer:
ati-driver-installer-8-9-x86.x86_64.run

Will the above binary from ati run it?

And is it stable?

Thanks all.