Having a two displays with driver "intel" (e.g. :0.0 and :0.1)

Dag Bakke dag at bakke.com
Mon Sep 29 12:20:50 PDT 2008

Steven J Newbury wrote, On 09/29/2008 05:22 AM:
> On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 12:31 -0700, Romain Chossart wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to know if there was a possibility to use "intel" drivers
>> (not i810) with *two displays* (e.g. :0.0 and :0.1) but only *one X
>> server*.
> Your terminology isn't quite correct, what you're calling displays, are
> actually "screens".  When supported a driver controlling multiple
> outputs from a single display adaptor it's called "Zaphod mode". (After
> Zaphod Beeblebrox - the guy from "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" with
> two heads!)
>
>> I could do it with i810 drivers, but then I switched to the "intel"
>> one, which is better in many ways, but not for my dual screen purpose
>> !
>> I'm currently using a xrandr-like conf, but it has many issues, like :
>> - No possibility to put 2 different isntances of window managers
> This is possible with multiple screens and multiple displays.  Some
> window managers, however, support multiple screens by default, so a
> single window manager instance will control both screens.  On the other
> hand, each display must have it's own window manager.
>
>> - Maximizing takes whole "virtual" screen
> As replied separately, this is due to your window manager either lacking
> or not being complied with "Xinerama" support.
>
>> - Mouse can be in "emptyness" part of the screen (because i have 2
>> different monitor resolutions)
> I don't know about this; it hasn't been my experience in the past
> though.
>> I am really getting mad about this, because I spent days (*really*)
>> seeking a configuration like that.
> Unfortunately the current intel driver doesn't support Zaphod mode.

I had the same problem as OP, until I figured out Xinerama. Xinerama
will extend your desktop over two physical monitors, providing only ":0.0".

But Xinerama-aware applications and window-managers ensures that
applications pops up on the correct physical monitor, and also makes
'fullscreen' imply 'cover the current physical monitor'. The bonus,
compared to Zaphod-mode is that you can move windows freely over the
entire desktop.

I noticed one minor snag with icewm, though. If you use xrandr to change
some aspect of your desktop layout, you may have to restart icewm in
order to move windows over the entire desktop.

I no longer miss Zaphod-mode. OP may have other use-cases than mine, though.

Dag B